In recognition of the long and outstanding service given to the community, Patchway Town Council has used its powers under the Local Government act to confer the title of Honorary Freeman on Win Williams.
Mrs Williams is only the fourth person and first woman to receive this honour from the town council and the occasion was marked by the attendance of Cllr Erica Williams, chair of South Gloucestershire Council at a presentation ceremony held at the town council offices in Rodway Road on Thursday 12th January.
Mrs Williams was presented with a certificate, scroll and commemorative gift by Cllr Eve Orpen, chair of Patchway Town Council.
In her introductory speech, Cllr Orpen observed that Win had served the community in many ways over the past 30 years and that Patchway would be a poorer place without Win’s enthusiasm and dedication
Win is well-known within the community of Patchway for her tireless and selfless service and as someone who can be counted on to support events or organisations. Her contribution to the community of Patchway has included the following roles:
- Chairman of Patchway Festival for over 20 years, which has brought together all sections of the community
- Chairman, volunteer driver and major fundraiser of Patchway Minibus Committee
- Member of the Editorial Committee of Patchway People
- Governor of St Chad’s CofE Primary School
- Active member of St. Chad’s Church, serving on various committees
- Committee member of Patchway Twinning Association and frequent host of visitors from France and Germany
Win has also held various positions at both Patchway Community Centre and Coniston Community Centre and has supported many other local groups through fundraising and practical assistance.
Mrs Williams was joined at the ceremony by her family and members of the town council along with representatives of the various organisations Win has supported over the years. Honorary freemen Lewis Gray and Charles Horton, along with the wife of the late Ken Graupner, were also present to congratulate Win on her award.
Photo (l-r): Cllr Erica Williams (chair of South Gloucestershire Council), Win Williams and Cllr Eve Orpen (chair of Patchway Town Council).
Share this article: